Friday 24 May 2013

IKEA hack: decoupage junior chair



  

Today I wanted to show you how I transformed Little Miss Moo's plain , white plastic junior kitchen chair.......
...I believe children's furniture should be fun as well as functional, so I decided to cover Miss Moo's junior chair with a fun print...

I will show you what I did...

 

I used:
sanding block
printed napkins (tiger tiger)
scissors
PVA glue
Decopatch glossy glue
Decopatch sealing varnish
Plasticote krystal clear spray varnish


After giving the chair a light sanding and wash, I prepared the napkins....


Cut the napkins into small squares....

 

If your napkin comes in several layers, as they often do, peel off the extra layers, so you are left with the printed tissue only...


Mix some PVA glue with a few drops of water.
The next parts of the process needs to be done in sections on the chair....

(unfortunately I somehow managed not to save the pictures I took during the making of this chair, so for the purposes of this tutorial, I have taken some pictures of a quick reconstruction on my kitchen sink....apologies) 


 
  
Paint the PVA mix onto the chair....
....leave to dry until tacky....
Try to make sure you are one step ahead with this before continuing on the next step of the process for each area....


 Using the Decopatch glue gently brush down the pieces of tissue onto the tacky surface...

 

Using the soft brush smooth down the tissue , take care not to overwork the tissue as it will break easily....
...continue adding pieces of tissue in sections, slightly overlapping each other..

 
...until you have covered the entire chair....
 

Then leave to dry...


The next step is to paint a layer of the sealing varnish all over....

 

This will give your chair a nice shiny gloss....

 

Allow to dry again....approx. 2 hours.




When you are sure all the glue have dried, you are ready for the final seal of spray varnish....


Make sure you do this in a well ventilated area......
....let dry fully...(and don't do what I did and leave it outside....in the rain!!! Doh!)


from plain to patterned in one day.....
......an a whole lot funner!!
Little Miss Moo loves her "new" chair.... 


Thanks for looking....

xxx
June




No comments:

"